April 30, 2009

Textile Pattern Design


This textile pattern is designed in order to represent my personal ethic background, Korea. Overall, I wanted to emphasize Korean traditional art which consists of continuous repetition of arrangement with delineation. All the elements in this pattern contain a specific meaning. For example, the circle in the middle of the textile is from the Korean flag, symbolizing the tradition and history of Korea. In this design, I can observe the texture of the blue part. However, the texture of red part does not look as tough as I intended to.

In order to create this design, I worked on Auto Cad to outline the design. While I was working on Auto Cad, I did not expect to create curve lines for the flower design however, with many trials with tools (polyline, trim) I eventually created the outline of the flower. Then, I imported it into Photoshop (c3) for color rendering and added a texture into the design.

This design is aesthetically pleasing; however, the vivid colors of the pattern become a distraction of the design of the pattern. It shows that I need to study more about color because for my future design projects, I want to use bold colors yet, aesthetically pleasing for clients.

No comments: